Saturday, January 3, 2015

Dancing Inside



Today, for the first time in many months, I was child-free in dance class.  This was thanks to my very gracious and intuitive babysitter, whom I believe could feel how run off my feet I was becoming with one babe in arms and two at my side all summer long.

There is a very fine line between being run off of one's feet, and dancing into one's feet.  There it is.  The key.  When things seem to get crazy, chaotic or out of control, my medicine is to dance my energy.  Dance it back inside.

Once I got into the dance studio, I didn't quite know what to do with my free hands.  They felt almost 'too' free after having them continually filled.  (To be true, I am typing this one-handed as we 'speak' ;)  Deciding to explore this new space, after the first wave of movement I decided to really take my time getting into the second wave of movement.

I wanted to ooze lusciously into the floor, to feel cradled by the earth and fully use the gift of gravity to give my body a complete stretch over and a deep release. This also happened to be one of those fine days where the music I had  chosen for class fit the freedom bill perfectly, it was a groovy and relaxing sound massage. 

When I finally came out of my deep breathing and stillness, everyone else was already standing and moving, deeply entranced in their own journeys and flowing with their dance.  It was so beautiful to see.  Despite the fact that the studio is surrounded by wall to wall mirrors, everyone had eyes closed.

Though mirrors can also at times serve a good purpose in observing, accepting and loving the natural movements we are each gifted with, I do enjoy it immensely when the existence of the mirrors is dropped from mind and all we are left with is free movement.

Free movement, directed only by our joy and gratitude for the gifts of our body vehicles.  I am filled once again with awe at the power and beauty of this medicine.  The entire room was electric and pulsed by that which holds all things as One.  Cohesive. 

At the completion of this one particular dance journey, the sense of community and bonding was both blissful and grounding.

And I was able to go home, arms free and expanded, scoop up my babes and feel them close while I showered them with butterfly kisses.  Still.  Free.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Get Widget